1.Casa la Pedrera – Casa Mila
Discover the most important facts about the history of Casa Mila
A home for Pere Milà and Roser Segimon
In 1905, Pere Milà and Roser Segimon married. Attracted by the fame of Passeig de Gràcia, they purchased a detached house with garden situated on a plot measuring 1,835 square metres and they commissioned the architect Antoni Gaudi to build their new property. The main floor of this new building, Casa Mila, was to be their home and they would rent out the other apartments.
The construction (1906-1912)
There was considerable interest in the construction of Casa Mila and various reports about it were published, such as the piece in L’Edificació Moderna, magazine, the publication of the construction employers’ association.
The construction of the building was complex and was fraught with financial and legal problems. Nor was it free from controversy. Gaudi kept changing his projects to shape the appearance the structures of the building as the work advanced. He went well over the expected budget and did not abide by the City Council’s building codes: the built volume was illegal; the attic and the rooftop exceeded the permitted maximums; and one of the pillars of the façade occupied part of the pavement on Passeig de Gràcia.
In the end, the Eixample Commission certified that the building was a monument in nature and did not need to conform strictly to the municipal bylaws. Even so, the Milàs had to pay a fine of 100,000 pesetas to legalise the building.
After many years of neglect, Casa Mila, popularly known as La Pedrera and declared a World Heritage Site in 1984 by UNESCO, was restored and opened to the public in 1996.
Originally, the building was built in 1877 by Emilio Sala Cortés (one of Gaudí’s architecture professors), when there was still no electric light in Barcelona. In 1903 it was purchased by Mr Josep Batlló y Casanovas, a textile industrialist who owned several factories in Barcelona and a prominent businessman.
r Josep Batlló granted full creative freedom to Antoni Gaudí, putting him in charge of a project that initially entailed demolishing the building. However, thanks to the courage shown by Gaudí, the demolition of the house was ruled out, and it was fully reformed between 1904 and 1906. The architect completely changed the façade, redistributing the internal partitioning, expanding the patio of lights and converting the inside into a true work of art. Besides its artistic value, the building is also extremely functional, much more characteristic of modern times than of the past. Some even see elements that herald the architectural trends of the late 20th Century.
Plaça de Catalunya was built in 1889, following Barcelona’s Universal Exhibition. Its purpose then, as it is today, was to link the new Eixample district with the old centre. From the beginning it has always been one of Barcelona’s breathing spaces, packed with cafés and restaurants that have seen literary and political debates, and which are still some of the main meeting points, even today. The square, which covers 48,500 square metres, became a city icon and holds public events, concerts and various civic gatherings. These days it is a major hub and is, in fact, regarded as Barcelona’s nerve centre.
Discover one of the best Rooftop in HOTEL IBEROSTAR Barcelona. Swim or tan in any of their hammocks while you have a drink from the Sky Bar.
The Sagrada Familia, the Agbar Tower and even the sea are part of the luxurious landscape that surrounds you.
4.”El beso” de Joan Fontcuberta
Photomosaic mural by the photographer Joan Fontcuberta ‘The world is born in every kiss’, made up of 4,000 tiles of images provided by the readers of EL PERIÓDICO that are grouped together to form a kiss, in one of the acts commemorating the Tricentennial of 1714.
Located in the Isidre Nonell square of the Ciutat Vella district, it consists of 80 tile columns and 50 rows, totaling 30.4 square meters – 3.8 meters high and 8 long – of photographs provided by citizens , which have been chosen according to their color and density. Trias stressed that the work is an “extraordinary metaphor” of Catalonia that recalls the events of 1714 but that encourages to face the future with esteem and affection.
5.Catedral de Barcelona
The Cathedral of Barcelona is comprised of three naves, but just a single apse and ambulatory. The naves have five sections: that closest to the façade is the longest in order to accommodate the dimensions of the cimborio, which is adjacent to the main entrance.
The typical structure used in Catalan Gothic constructions, arranged to permit use of the spaces within the buttresses, allowed rows of secondary chapels to be opened up in the Cathedral. There are two chapels in each section of the naves, encircling the entire basilica.
Two large bell towers are located at the ends of the section nearest to the presbytery, with no side chapels. One of the towers is over the door of Saint lvo and the other is over the interior entryway to the Cloister. On the basilica’s terraces, these towers are octagonal with a prismatic body used for the stairways, which are built into the towers (1386-1393 and 16th century).
Large windows open up onto the radial chapels of the ambulatory, illuminating the presbytery. In the lateral naves, a tall, windowed gallery runs above the chapels on the outer wall of the basilica. A small triforium runs around the central nave and the presbytery near the dome.
5.PLAZA DE SANT FELIP NERI
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri is a small square in the Gothic Quarter in the district of Ciutat Vella in Barcelona, Spain. The square takes its name from the Church of Saint Philip Neri, which presides over the square. To the right of the church is the School of Saint Felip Neri which uses the square as a playground. To the left of the church is a house used by the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri. In the centre of the square is an octagonal fountain, dedicated as a symbol of life. The architecture of the square and surrounding buildings is in the medieval Baroque-style
The square was once home to the Palace of Neri built in 1752. In the mid-20th century, Gothic buildings from other areas of the city were moved stone by stone to the square, instead of demolishing them to make room for urban developments. When the hotel Neri was built it was faced in similar gothic stone to maintain the gothic style of the square. In 1938 during the Spanish Civil War, Francisco Franco laid siege to the city of Barcelona. On the 30 January 1938, one of Franco’s bombs fell on the church killing 30 people most of whom were children from the School of Sant Philip Neri and some were refugee children from Madrid where the church had been turned into a makeshift orphanage. As people pulled survivors from the rubble, a second bomb hit the square, killing 12 more bringing the death toll to 42. It was the second worst bombing hit in Barcelona during the war. Evidence of the bombings can be seen in the pockmarked walls of the church. Museu del Calçat, a footwear museum in the square was closed in 2015 and building remains unused.
7.Plaza Sant Jaume
The current appearance of the Plaça Sant Jaume dates from 1823, a period when it was remodelled and renamed the Plaça de la Constitució. The new shopping street, the Carrer Ferran, was built at the same time and a space that had previously been small and crammed with buildings was opened out. Indeed, before this, the square had been a small area that had grown at random, and the site of the church of Sant Jaume with its cemetery. After the houses were demolished and the church was moved to Carrer Ferran, Barcelona’s new political heart was created. Two imposing buildings flank the square: on one side, the Palau de la Generalitat, the seat of the Catalan Government, and on the other, Barcelona City Hall.Both institutions existed in medieval times and are still responsible for governing the lives of Catalans and the people of Barcelona.
Barcelona’s Plaça Reial (meaning: Royal Plaza) is known for being surrounded by terraces and bars. Also for the live jazz , the performances during La Mercé and the historical stamp fair. It is part of La Rambla and La Rambla is part of it. Like Barcelona main street, it is an explosion of nationalities, ages and cultures.
It was built between 1848 and 1860 in honor of Spanish King Ferdinand VII in order to ennoble the monarchy. It was previously occupied by the Capuchin convent of La Matrona, burned during the 1835 anti-clerical revolts. It was designed by architect Francesc Daniel Molina Casamajó following the style of the traditional Spanish main squares.
In the center of Plaça Reial outstands is Three Graces Fountain. When the square was opened there was a statue of King Ferdinand the Catholic but citizens didn’t last in destroying it with stones. After Spanish First Republic (1873-74) this fountain was installed with the figures of the goddesses of charm, creativity and fertility. Also, lampposts were designed next to the fountain by Antoni Gaudí when he was not yet known.
La Rambla, also known as Las Ramblas, is one of Barcelona’s main thoroughfares and one of the most visited areas in the city. This fascinating artery is 0.8 miles (1,3 km) long and connects Plaça de Catalunya with the city’s old port.
Las Ramblas is always lively, packed with tourists, locals and street artists who pose like living statues. Numerous terraces and restaurants are located on both sides of the street and it is very enjoyable to sit in one of its terraces to see people come and go, although be warned that the prices are a little high, since this is a very touristic area.
10.Mirador de Colom
Of the 64 monuments that exist in the world in homage to Christopher Columbus, Barcelona hosts the highest of all. Located at the end of La Rambla, over the old port of the city, the monument to Colón stands out, 57 meters high and weighing 233,000 kilograms. In a city full of iconic images of modernist buildings, this classic old-style monument, full of details and great symbolism, has managed to become one of the emblems of Barcelona.
Built by the architect Gaietà Buïgas, it was inaugurated in 1888 within the ceremony of the Universal Exposition. The Barcelona City Council proposed this work as a tribute to Columbus, who chose the port of Barcelona to disembark upon returning from his trip to America.
The size of the index finger is disproportionate in relation to the rest of its body. It measures 50 centimeters, instead of the 40 that it should have to maintain proportionality with the rest of the statue. They are 10 centimeters more so that the finger can be seen better from the street.
11.Museo de Historia Catalunya
The History Museum of Catalonia opened its doors in February 1996 by decision of the Government of Catalonia. Unlike other museums, it was not the result of a need to display an existing collection but rather the desire to become a leading centre for popularising our collective history and heritage.
The museum is in the former General Trade Warehouses, a unique building in Barcelona’s old industrial port. After a laborious process to restore and adapt the building, begun in 1991 prompted by the Olympic Games, the decision was made to install the museum there, with a permanent exhibition on the history of Catalonia.
On the first floor of the building, a space of 1,200 m2 was adapted to house the temporary exhibitions of a museum which receives thousands of visitors every year. The exhibitions are complemented by a wide variety of educational, leisure and academic activities.
Over the years, the museum has built up its own collection from donations of objects and documents. Although they are very different, most of the pieces are related to the political and institutional history of Catalonia. Since 1997, the building has also housed the Centre for the Contemporary History of Catalonia (CHCC) and its important library.
1881 The Terrace of the Indianas is located on the roof of the Palau de Mar building, headquarters of the Museu d’Història de Catalunya, built in the style that the English established in all the ports of the world. Here history and culture have united peoples and people.